The food man cometh

Or the "Schood Man" as my almost-three year old would say.

I'm lucky to live in an area where I can get a weekly delivery of organic produce right to my door. As we currently have a gazillion feet of snow and temperatures more suitable for snot freezing than air breathing, anything that means I don't have to pack up my kids and go to the store is fine by me!

Not to mention, but as a SAHM, something as simple as a delivery can be the highlight of our day. It's not just about the delivery. It's our games guessing what time he'll come, what will be in our "Schood" box, counting out the money with my kidlets, all those simple things that help me not go bonkers for lack of mental stimulation.

My son's eagerness to discover what goodness awaits us this week in the box o' wonders makes me happy. I love that he gets excited about good food. That he gets excited about fresh fruit and vegetables like it was christmas all over again makes me feel hope that McDonald's might not get its hooks into this young one.

Having a box o' mystery delivered to my doorstep also stretches my cooking creativity most weeks. For the first time in my life, I'm cooking things like Kale and beets and using abundant amounts of fresh herbs. My own heart skips a beat when i see images of new recipes dancing in my head. Like I said, we don't get out much in winter :/

Today's offerings were just as yummy as expected.
Photobucket

bananas, apples, kiwis, lettuce, parsley, onions, lemon, orange, carrots, sprouts, green pepper, carrots.
If anyone has any idea what that fruit at the front is, I'd be grateful. And how to eat it. Mango? Papaya? It defies this poor canadian. I think apples are about as canadian as we get 'round here.

Mr Man always has to go through and personally approve of everything
Photobucket

If i'm no careful, the little bugger takes off with all my apples. How do you like THEM apples?! (name that movie!)
Photobucket

Everything is just so fresh, it's all I can do not to eat is right out of the box
Photobucket

ok, ok, so I do eat it right out of the box, you got me. sorry husband. There really was more apples, but they were just SO damn good! And really, what else am I suppose to do with them?

Photobucket

now how did that happen?! hehe, sorry.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Papaya or Mango

Anonymous said...

if you cut the mystery fruit open i can tell you what it is!

Anonymous said...

Your mystery fruit is a mango! Yum! I like my mangoes best in a blended margarita! :)