Parlez-vous Francais?

I do, I do!

And thanks to our brand spanking new house, so will both my kids, as they will follow in their awesome mother's footsteps and be enrolled in French Immersion.

French...what? ha, not the first time I've got that response. French Immersion is just the coolest thing since sliced bread. Since cellulite cream. Since the silver bullet...err, I mean Magic bullet. yes. French Immersion is that cool.

It's a program where kids are immersed (haha, great name, eh?) in french from kindergarten on wards. All day, every day, every subject, is taught in french. Even gym. yes, I'm serious. Even indoor recess was in french. And you know what? young kids pick up french like you would not believe. And then if they are anything like me and my brother, use it to torment their parents by talking about all the cool things kids talk about, and parents are none the wiser. man, it rocked. It was like, the best thing since sliced bread. Since cellulite cream. Since the silver bullet...err, I mean Magic bullet. yes. French Immersion is that cool.

I have my 14 years of French Immersion education to thank for many of the best things in my life. My first job - as a french camp councellor. Then my first adult job, working for the provincial, and then federal, governments.
I have my 14 years of French Immersion education to thank for many life long deeper than deep relationships.




3 of the 5 bridesmaids at my wedding were Frenchies.


Aj, one of my blonde bombshell best friends, is a fellow Frenchie.

I can still count more a dozen or more of Frenchies, people I have know since before I could spell my own name (and let's face it, Smith wasn't that hard) as friends. Being Frenchies gave us a bond for life.

Being a Frenchie made us different, and that different forged a bond stronger than any I ever saw in any "normal" classes. Our poor teachers - if we liked them, we were very very good. But if we didn't...ouie. Sorry teachers :/
It was us, against "them". "Them" being the English kids, the "English muffins", the normal kids, the ones who just weren't as cool as us Frenchies. Interestingly, I married one of those "English muffins". But that's only because he was a fellow band geek, and we can't all be perfect.

I can't wait for my kids to start french immersion and hopefully have the same amazing experience in it that I did.

Except unlike me, they won't be able to use the french against their parent. Cause that's me, and I OWN that trick.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Mai oui, je parle francais! I think this is great! I only had 4 years of French at high school, but I really love the language! I wish there were something like that here....instead, my kids will learn Spanish and I don't know a lick of that!