Eat your oats!

I love oatmeal. In case you haven't already guessed. Yup, oatmeal is what the cool kids are eating. I promise. Just ask me. I know, I'm a a cool kid. or I was. Once. In my imagination. But I digress.

I rediscovered this recipe of my moms as I was packing up my cookbooks, and had to give it a whirl. My delicious memories of this simple dessert didn't lie to me. These are as good as I remember, and as easy. So easy my barely three year old made them. If I could only teach him how to whip up some chicken cacciatore I'd be one happy momma.

Make these. with your kids. They'll love it. And so will your belly. And boobs, if you are a breastfeeder like me.

BUTTERSCOTCH OAT SQUARES

2 cups quick or instant oats
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

(1) Mix oats and brown sugar, mix in butter and
vanilla.

(2) Spread mixture into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 deg. F for
10 minutes or until it looks golden-brown.
Squares will be soft, but will harden when cool.

(3) Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then mark in squares
with a sharp knife. Loosen edges and allow to
cool before removing from pans.




Oh, and while I'm tossing out recipes, I may as well add in the healthier version of the oatmeal cookies i made back here. Those are yummy, these are yummy but without all that yummy butter. Huh, can they be as yummy without the yummy butter? I'm not too sure about that. Maybe I should just make both at the same time and taste test. yup, my butt would surely thank me for that!

Healthy Lactation Cookies (with Honey) a la redcanuck
Ingredients:
Dry ingredients
• 2 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
• 3 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats (smaller flake is ok too)
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
• 2 Tablespoons Brewer’s Yeast
Wet ingredients
• 1 cup honey (spray measuring cup with oil to ease the honey out easier, or measure the olive oil first)
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1/3 cup Applesauce
• 2 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
• 1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
• 2 Tablespoons Vanilla
• 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed, mixed with 4 Tablespoons water
Yummy ingredients
• 1 cup raisins and/or
• 1 cup dried cranberries and/or
1 cup chocolate chips
Preparation:
1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add wet ingredients into the well.
3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
5. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.

No comments: